When it comes to Thanksgiving side dishes, the possibilities are endless! Below are a few of our favorite recipes that have a traditional Thanksgiving flair with a healthy twist!
Healthy Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes (peeled)
- ¼ cup melted coconut butter
- ¾ cup warm unsweetened oat milk, or other unsweetened plant based milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Peel and roughly dice sweet potatoes. Steam sweet potatoes until you can easily pierce them with a fork, around 15 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from steamer and place in a large pot and mash with a potato masher. Add melted coconut butter, oat milk, and salt and pepper. Beat ingredients into sweet potatoes until fully mixed and fluffy.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot.
Green Beans with Cranberries & Walnuts
- 1-1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- Blanch the green beans in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender-crisp, 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the green beans from the boiling water, place in a bowl of water with ice cubes for a few minutes to stop the cooking, and then drain and dry well.
- Whisk together the vinegar and Dijon mustard in a small bowl. Stir in the salt and pepper.
- Add the cool green beans to a large bowl and toss in the walnuts, cranberries, and shallots and drizzle in the vinaigrette. Place on a platter or serving dish.